Tuesday, January 10, 2012

watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit

Hey y'all. I'm about to leave the office for the day, but wanted to share with you a heartwarming quote I read in Rolling Stone. The issue features my lovers, The Black Keys, on the cover. Now, if you're like me and many of my friends, you absolutely want to punch every member of Nickelback in the face. And maybe every member of Daughtry for similar reasons. It is truly wondrous to have this sentiment embodied by the Key's drummer, Patrick Carney:

"Rock & roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world,” he says, blowing cigarette smoke out the window of his rented East Village loft a few days ­before the band heads to L.A. “So they became OK with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be shit – therefore you should never try to be the biggest rock band in the world. Fuck that! Rock & roll is the music I feel the most passionately about, and I don’t like to see it fucking ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit. When people start lumping us into that kind of shit, it’s like, ‘Fuck you,’ honestly."

Love. You can read more here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cover-story-excerpt-the-black-keys-20120104

I'm seeing these boys in person, albeit from very far away, in March and will kiss them in the face.



Now doesn't that make you want to get down (in the dancing sense) and drink some whiskey?

I've been thinking a lot recently about Blues-influenced music and why I'm so drawn to it. It has a quality of recognizing sincere emotion (pain, regret, longing) while at the same time making the listener feel powerful, happy and resolute. It's good therapy. It's that place where pain doesn't turn to apathy and abandonment or melodramatic, adolescent crap. As a visual artist, I'm jealous of musicians because they create with a media that touches people on some primitive, unconscious, emotional level while at the same time carrying meaning that the listener understands. I know that visual art can hit at that non-verbal primitive place too, but not in the toe-tapping, cry by myself on the train kind of way...It's like watching an extremely graphic, horrific scene in a movie. Turn off the sound, and closing your eyes doesn't seem as important. What I mean is, I think sound digs deeper than anything.

Now if you want to go cry in your basement, listen to this nostalgic horseshit (as my roommates in Ireland used to say):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0DU4DoPP4

No comments:

Post a Comment