Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day-dreaming Gets Me Through the Day

Katie is gracefully ceding her forum to me today (see her master plan for internet domination here) so I can broadcast on a subject near and dear to my heart: the importance of having a rich fantasy life.






Not that kind of fantasy, get your head out of the gutter! I'm talking about the type of fantasy life that gets you through your 9-5 life: the kind that allows your business-casual (or formal!), ambitious, career-advancing, appropriate-in-public-and-safe-for-parental-interaction identity to keep bringing home the bacon while your carefree sprite-like spirit roams the globe unfettered.




I tend to divide my day-dreaming into two highly related areas: fulfilling careers that will also make me rich and amazing trips around the world that I will take with the money I make from said careers.

Sitting in a boring meeting? No problem! Simply zap yourself over to that bakery you were planning to open and redesign the industrial ovens (Fun fact: Katie and I did once have a master plan to fill what we saw as gaping hole in the Irish dessert experience by opening our own American-style sundae shop in Galway. Free cholesterol and obesity screenings with your 5th visit!)

Metro commute slow and halting? Perfectly acceptable if you pretend you're on your way to view some Mayan ruins and the bumps are all a part of the authenticity of your experience!

But be warned: there is a dark underbelly to the fantasy lifestyle. If you express too much enthusiasm for your neighbor's travel plans, you just may find yourself on cat sitting team varsity, playing out your fantasies by...cleaning litter boxes and opening cans of food. They say it's free to look, but perhaps it's not free to talk - the kitty dominatrix will get you in the end!

I can haz ur soul?


In other words, it may be safer to pull a quieter version of me and just silently stalk your friends' travels instead.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some airfare sales to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment